Thursday, August 9, 2012

Mission find a job, complete.

Today I decided I was going to actively search for a serving gig somewhere near my condo so that I can actually have an income during these ever-so expensive law years. When I got home from class I decided to get on Craigslist one more time to see if anything new had popped up in the Wicker Park or Bucktown area. Turns out there was a posting for a little Italian joint just a couple of stops down the Blue Line from me as I am going into the city. I had a few other places I wanted to check out, but this Italian place, Tocco, happened to be my first stop.

For whatever reason it had to start raining more as I am trying to look nice in my blazer and blue jeans, with my hair tucked back. I stop at Tocco and turn in my resume to the bartender. He said he would give it to the interested party and that I should take a business card for the restaurant to check back. As I am about a block away, I get a phone call from Bruno, the Italian owner, asking if I can come back for an interview. Now a bit windblown and definitely wetter, I tried to tuck away my whisps and headed back to the restaurant.

Bruno, is a tall, tan Italian man, who was wearing a white shirt, blue blazer, and red pants. He couldn't look more the part of owner of a trendy little Italian spot. Melissa, whom I believe to be his wife, was also there to meet me and "interview me". Needless to say I got the job! The atmosphere is awesome and their food has ingredients actually shipped in from Italy. Plus the wine list is pretty impressive itself. I am going to come in at 4pm on Saturday and start my first day of training to shadow another server and begin to learn the ropes of this restaurant. 

I am excited that I get to stick with what I know, wine and Italian food, but be in a more upbeat atmosphere than I've been in before. We get to wear anything we want that is black or white, and can accent with fuchsia. They want us to express our individual styles and look forward to coming into work. Melissa said that everyone who works there is more like family than just staff. I think it will be a nice fit for me and I found that every server I talked to rather enjoyed their time spent there. So hopefully it all works out and I can make the moolah I need to live off of!

If you want to check the place out, here is their website for Tocco

Here's to the Chicago gods helping me out today (even in the rain)!

Until next time...

- Cass

0 comments: