The question :
Describe one specific example of your leadership. (The writer of your letter of recommendation re: Leadership Abilities and Potential must confirm this experience.)
My response :
Any other day of my life, standing in a shower for half an hour, clothed and attempting to loofah under-refrigerated whip cream goo off my body would push me over the proverbial “edge.” As a Resident Assistant at my university, I battled all year to find a way to involve residents in the community. They were college freshmen, consistently apathetic towards my engaging efforts, whether with on-campus lecture series on living an ethical life or learning about abuse against women through my acting debut in the Vagina Monologues. No matter what approach I took they would not share my ardor. Partaking in Project Homeless Connect (PHC)—a service where participants work as Customer Service Volunteers paired one-on-one with a homeless client and guide them to stations such as medical care or housing—would presumably yield the same result. I was trying to brainstorm how I could inspire residents’ participation and zeal in PHC, a service I support adamantly, and that’s when it hit me (figuratively at this point, literally later). At our staff meeting that evening, I presented my “Pie Your RA” event. All the logistics were ready and I prepared myself for the other’s hesitation in trying another service-oriented event. I emphasized to my fellow RAs that supporting this event was not just a way to raise money, it was opening a forum to discuss PHC with residents and attract their participation in May, as well to discuss homelessness’ substantial impact on our lives and society. My staff responded with immense support. I delegated tasks and ran the other logistics. On April 1st, many of us stood in the lobby prepared to stop everyone walking by as we spread word of PHC and our event. As I stood in the shower later that night, some 200 plates of whip cream later, satisfyingly picking goo out of my hair, I knew I not only initiated a successful fundraising event but found a unique and memorable way for residents to contribute to bettering the lives of others in their community.
Pretty legit, eh? I am very proud of it to say the least :) It was extremely time-consuming to get them to be so succinct and still reflect a story, my personality, and answer the question in full! (Thanks to Jason, who is not only my best friend, the best any girl could ask for, and the loml, he looked at my essays so many different times throughout the editing process he probably wanted to gouge his eyes out; thanks to Chloe at DU for also editing and putting up with my constant question emails; thanks to mi madre for editing, being my inspiration, and just always giving her unconditional love; thanks to my other mother, Sue, whos insight was extremely valuable in my early stages and trying to master the task at hand; and all my other friends and mentors who took time out of their busy lives to help me out too--Jon, Jenn, Katie, Kat, Erin, and Daddio (who kept me laughing the whole way).
This week was also the week of packages!
The first one I got was my dear ex-debate partner, Lindsay. I was not expecting this at all, so it was even a better surprise and day-brightener! Her package included the following :
Does the girl know me or what? (I have an addiction to all sorts of chapstick for those of you who do not know me, and in debate, Linds and I would always have extra tubes stashed in our boxes or backups or whatever...) ha ha ha In her letter she wrote, "I figured the EU was running low on chapstick with you visiting so I figured I would help them out." Who knew receiving ten tubes of chapstick could be so amazing?!?! Life is about the little things people, the little things.
The second package I received was from my dear friend, Dylan. He sent me a wonderful letter on top of the movies "The Curious Case of Benjamin Button" and "Slumdog Millionaire." So far, I have only watched Benjamin Button (I say only, when I have seen it twice now ha ha) and not Slumdog just yet. There is a quote from Benjamin Button that I want to share with y'all. I found it very compelling and just downright beautiful...
"For what it's worth, it's never too late, or in my case too early, to be whoever you want to be. There is no time limit. Stop whenever you want. You can change or stay the same. There are no rules to this thing. We can make the best or the worst of it. I hope you can make the best of it. I hope you see things that stop you. I hope you feel things you never felt before. I hope you meet people with a different point of view. I hope you live a life you are proud of. If you find that you're not, I hope you have the strength to start all over again." - "The Curious Case of Benjamin Button"
I think this quote appeals to me because I am doing a lot of those things now in France! So thank you Dylan for sharing this wonderful story with me! :)
The last package I received, yes I know three is unheard of around here, was from my Grandma. She sent me some tea, gum, and these cute little valentine spinner things to hang up! They definitely add their own bit of flair to my eclectic room! ha ha Also, Abby and Hailey, my two little cousins, made me Valentine's Day Cards that are just too cute! I have them hanging up on my wall with the other cards they made me for my birthday in the fall. I appreciate stuff like that so much. It's nice to know that people are thinking about me and I just love little cousin art ha ha
I am almost done with my thank you notes--so you three be looking for them in the mail!
This week has also been the week of professor strikes. So I go to class as usual to find the place empty or other French students standing around waiting to see if the prof will show up or not. For me, this is so strange. I have never not had a prof show up... at least not without 4 feet of snow on the ground! It is the French way though, if they are not happy with the way things are going, they exercise their rights and stand up for what they believe in. I am trying to catch up in my reading for my classes this weeked. I have successfully slacked off in that department working on the life-consuming thing that is Truman.
I am not certain if I have mentioned this yet or not, but I am currently on a spiritual journey of sorts and I am finding it to be rather rewarding. A friend back home at DU, suggested I read this book "Blue Like Jazz" by Donald Miller. It's about his touching and rather humorous and struggles with religion. One of my favorite quotes, which has nothing to do with God so much really, is also the line that gives the book its title. (perhaps that's what drew me to it?)
"They hang there, the stars, like notes on a page of music, free-form verse, silent mysteries swirling in the blue like jazz." - Donald Miller, "Blue Like Jazz"
I think I enjoy this book the most because it isn't religious views on Christian Spirituality, it's like an everyday perspective from a person who is skeptical, a lot like the rest of us are. He has opened up some other great ideas and revelations in my mind. I also find now that I pray more often, not because I feel I ought to, like when I was a kid and someone was dying or a dog was sick, but because I want to.
This week has also brought upon some trying times for me. A test of forgiveness I guess you could say. I find that some of the verses in the Bible are actually rather logical, and it's nice that someone else has just said the obvious and then you can reflect upon it and appy it to your life. I like that I can go about this on my time and in my own fashion. Not forced to believe or anything under other people's interpretations, etc.
I also have tried out a new muffin recipe this week! Zucchini & Carrot muffins... so delicious! And I find that grating zucchini and carrots is a good stress reliever ha ha ha I think muffins may be my culinary calling... or perhaps what is a la mode for me right now in baking ha ha ha
Well I think that about sums up everything for now... If you are reading this, please comment! I love reading the comments! (They are one of life's little things... hint hint)
Miss everyone terribly, and perhaps I will be seeing y'all in March for the Truman Interview!!! :)
Love, Your quite content and happy to be alive Cassie
4 comments:
Sounds like you have a very rich and rewarding life over there in France. Isn't it nice to know people are thinking about you and love you enough to send you gifts of the things you like most? I have been wondering how your dance classes are going...have you convinced them to let you teach country line dancing yet? I miss you! Love your mother!
I want the recipe for the muffins!! Miss you and love you!
-Rachelle
Keep making muffins.
p.s. you said y'all - I win.
Haha! You should have seen the face of the guy at the post office when I declared what I mailing to you! :) Well worth it!
Post a Comment