Wednesday, February 25, 2009

Sorry... busy past week (and then some)

Sorry it has taken me so long to blog... Here is the catch up!

February 14th... A day I cannot make up my mind about...

Generally, I am not a big fan of Valentine's Day... If you actually do your research, no one really knows what Saint Valentine did... nor is he ever really associated with romantic love or anything. You can thank French writers for accrediting that part ha ha

I went to the pub because I figured I had no where else to be, and my one good girl friend Siddi had her boyfriend in town, and Matt was in Belgium with his parental units, so spending the day with my "family" didn't seem so awful. I had brought American Valentine's with me, different Disney Pixar ones and Hannah Montana too. I wrote little notes on them and attached some Laffy Taffy I had brought too. I took them to the pub and introduced everyone to the American tradition. They thought the taffy was chewing gum at first, but ended up really liking it, and they thought the cards were cute ha ha

I ended up hanging out with Guillaume and his girlfriend Elie (who is pretty much my only girl friend who is French) at the pub, with Paul and Tony. We went to another bar for about 15 minutes but not much was happening there, so back to Madigan's it was. Once the pub had closed, and all was cleaned up and what not, Paul and Tony began playing old 70s and 80s French music on the stereo... and then they found a microphone, plugged it in, and were dancing around and singing. Filou and I were laughing so hard our eyes were watering... seriously, one of the most hilarious things I have ever seen in my life! All in all, it was a great night, and I had a blast :)


My big, Parisian and Senegalese guy friend Ady... Truly a Friendly Giant...

All weekend long, Ady, who lives on the same floor as Matt and I, and has become a good friend of mine, would come knocking on my door to harass me. He loves to call me the "American girl" and also loves to tell random people in the hall that I keep on asking him to marry me but that he will not be my husband ha ha At some point I was trying to defend myself against his verbal accusations and this is what ends up happening...


I get thrown over his back in one swift motion like I was a dish towel being tossed over a shoulder... ha ha


Do you ever wake up in the morning and decide that today, you will cut your hair? I do...

For whatever reason a couple weeks ago, I decided I wanted to cut my hair. Not the usual trim I often do to myself, this time I actually took off a good 5 to 6 inches... Here is a pic of what it looks like now! :)


I think the last time I had my hair this short may have been back in the good ol' fifth grade... crazy eh?


The Truman saga...

Truman day of truth was last Tuesday, February 17th... I anxiously awaited with a glass of wine in hand (to calm my nerves) and some good French chocolate (also to calm my nerves ha ha) for the posting of the Truman finalists. Tragically, I am not a finalist. Jason told me of the appeals process they have where each university can submit one name they thought was a strong candidate. Turns out the timeline passed for that before I was able to inquire about it. Sad that DU wouldn't mention that right? So, to say the least, I will not be a Truman Scholar, but I did learn a lot through the process and at least I can say I was a nominee for it :) Things happen for a reason, and only time can reveal those reasons...


The Striking Continues...

The striking at the university continues on... This week, the law students voted on whether or not to strike all this week. Classes are still being held by professors, so we will see what goes down. Our program lady here says not to worry at this point, that professors will have make-up courses and what not, so things should end up being good to go in the end... we will have to wait and see I suppose! In the meantime, I have been reading the books they suggested and what not to keep up with the material and let myself understand the course material at my own pace.


Exciting news from the baking world of Cassie...

I finally, FINALLY, got one of my pitas to poof up fully!!! For whatever reason when I bake them, they do not blow up like a balloon as they ought to... Then, one day, it happened. As soon as I got my camera out, a lot of the air had let out, but you get the picture... :)

I am still so excited about this!!! ha ha ha And I made one of the most legit batches of Apple Strudel Muffins yet... the crumble on top of these was to die for!!!


That's it for me! Hope all is well stateside!

- Cassiopeia

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Matt! And hello to my lovely daughter...it seems so crazy to me that the professors can just go on strike and what not...especially since they have students renting rooms, paying tuition, etc. Crazy, crazy, socialist world! Anyhoo how is your dancing going? And I am waiting to here of your fun with Sara...maybe you can post about that next. While you are hanging out at the pub, you should try to get as much drink mixing experience as possible...it just might benefit you when you come back to the states. :) Seeing as how everyone is so down in the dumps and depressed, bars are the only businesses boasting profits...so think about it! You know how I am about making a buck!
Randy has State quals today and tomorrow for debate and is very excited about it! Keep your fingers crossed that he will do good. I miss you!

Your mother!

m. Ansell said...

Hello Cassandra's mother,

There's a lot of money in baking too - practice that also...